[BC] DTV re-scanning may not work...

RichardBJohnson at comcast.net RichardBJohnson at comcast.net
Sun Jun 14 20:04:57 CDT 2009

the HDTV receivers of which I have tested, ALL fail to have any sensitivity. They all require a "city grade" signal to function. if you are 15 or miles or more away from a TV transmitter antenna, even if you have a good outside antenna, you are going to need a 20 dB amplifier in the line. When I first bought a HDTV and hooked it to the same antenna that provided excellent reception on my Sony analog TV, I got nothing at all. I wasn't even able to receive any analog signals! I brought it back and they (Best buy) swapped it. The new TV was exactly the same. Then I hooked it to my cable and it worked fine. That's when I found that I needed to buy a preamplifier. Eventually, I have that TV away and got another one. It has the same lack of sensitivity. Note that no manufacturer states the receiver sensitivity anymore! I can't find any information, either in the handout they supply with the HDTV or in anything on the Internet except complaints about it: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/archive/index.php/t-546066-p-4.html

Basically, the manufacturers have decided amongst themselves that we all need to use cable. This used to be called "restraint of trade" and there were federal laws about it.

Cheers,
Richard B. Johnson
Book: http://www.AbominableFirebug.com/