[BC] DTV Audio Levels

Rich Wood richwood at pobox.com
Sun Jun 14 12:18:39 CDT 2009

On this list and others there have been many comments about the
amazing lack of control of audio in digital.

One problem suggested was that networks get plugged directly into the
transmitter and the local station has no control. The level problem
is all local as they cut away from the network. Either they have no
control or they're not paying attention. Spots, in particular, are
almost painfully louder than other material and local programming
varies the same between local and network. In addition, the levels
between stations vary dramatically. I can't watch TV without the mute
button at my side.

I realize that with multiple video formats and Dolby Digital it's
become a much more complex world. I find local cutaways almost always
far louder than the network feed. With the signal now being one big
digital stream, is it designed so audio and video can't be separated
to allow audio control? That doesn't make any sense to me but worse
things have happened. Is it the change from 5.1 by a station not
equipped to handle it locally?

Even levels between local elements are all over the place.

By far the worst offender is DirecTV. It seems to me they have
control over everything they deliver.

What's going on? I know it's annoying the daylights of a lot of
people. I may have to resort to cable where they scrunch everything.

Rich