[BC] Frequencies Of Digital Television Channels

Jonathan E. Hardis jhardis at tcs.wap.org
Sat Jun 13 18:49:20 CDT 2009

>I've tried various key words to search for the frequencies of
>the digital television channels but can't come up with
>anything.  Anyone have a link to this information?  Also,
>what is the band width of a digital television station?

The frequencies of television channels -- analog or digital -- are here:
http://www.fcc.gov/oet/dtv/tvchfreq.html

A single TV station can up to THREE channels associated with it:

    1)  Its old analog channel, which is generally the number by
        which the station is known.

    2)  The pre-transition digital simulcast channel, which had to be
        different than (1).

    3)  The post-transition [what we're in now] digital channel, which
        could be the same as (1), could be the same as (2), or could
        be an entirely different channel.

        Examples in the Washington, DC market:

        WUSA  Analog 9
          Pre-Transition Digital 34
          Post-Transition Digital 9 [Again]

        WRC   Analog 4
          Pre-Transition Digital 48
          Post-Transition Digital 48 [Staying put]

        WPXW  Analog 66
          Pre-Transition Digital 43
          Post-Transition Digital 34 [Third Channel]

Note that digital stations can represent themselves to the user as
any channel number they want, whether they actually broadcast on that
channel or not.  In Washington, two public Northern Virginia
stations, digital 24 and 30, are BOTH representing themselves as
"30."  The user sees 30-1 through 30-10, without realizing that two
channels are spanned.

The post-transition channel assignments are here:
http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/FCC-07-138A2.pdf

   - Jonathan