[BC] DTV re-scanning may not work...

Ron Youvan ka4inm at tampabay.rr.com
Sat Jun 13 18:25:20 CDT 2009

> After KABC-TV Los Angeles dropped their UHF signal and moments later
> re-appeared on their VHF signal as KABC-DT, no amount of re-scanning of
> my DTV-Pal by Dish Network would get the KABC-DT VHF signal.  Craig
> Robbins ( who is lurking here) suggested that I go into the channel list
> through setup and manually delete ALL of the channels.  I did that and
> it then knew enough to do a re-scan on it's own.  After that it worked
> fine.  By 7 PM last night I had 71 channels and still nothing worth
> watching.  I'll probably go through the same process again sometime today.

> I'm interested to know how many people using proper antennas and DTV
> sets or converter boxes lost TV signals.

   Scanning and not getting everything or re-scanning and (possibly) loosing some and gaining
channels generally indicates an inadequate signal level.  I bought an 18 dB gain amplifier from
Wally World 6 months or so ago (for about $20) that fixed me up just great.  An antenna improvement
might be the ticket.

--
Ron KA4INM