[BC] Anyone know the details?

Dana Puopolo dpuopolo at usa.net
Thu Jun 11 13:33:20 CDT 2009

Here are the details....

The station involed was WRQQ FM, 97.1 Nashville....a rock station. You can
read peoples' comments about it on the Nashville Radio-Info board. It was most
of the night and into Sunday morning a couple weeks ago. The CE, John Mounts
was on his furlough week. The regional DOE is Troy Pennington, based in the
same complex on Music Row. Troy was the "on call" engineer. He didn't answer
his phone or pager.

Several people emailed me privately about this. All of them used to work for
Cume-less. All of them quit the company to work elsewhere. All of them are
happier now, and none of them had anything good to say about the company.

Here's a quote from the Cume-less web site:

"We believe in treating engineers as broadcast professionals who are a
valuable and essential part of our cluster team, functioning with minimal
direction from "corporate." It is important to us that you feel comfortable in
working within our team environment, just as it is important to you to know
that your compensation package will fairly represent the significant
responsibilities you will be undertaking."

Hmmm...I wonder if corporate engineering will be installing webcams in the
engineering shops like sales has done in the conference rooms-to SPY on their
employees.

I believe that there will be more then a few chuckles from various engineers
when they read the drivel above. Though I never worked for Cume-less, about 6
years ago I did interview with their VP of Engineering at a restaurant in
Newport Beach, CA. He spent 95% of the interview time on his cell phone, which
rang incessantly. Mine never rang. Why? Because I felt that he had the right
to my undivided attention, so I had shut it off.

Needless to say, I never heard back from him-and if I had I doubt I would have
worked for him. The whole experience simply reeked of unprofessionalism, and
left a bad taste in my mouth. I believe that he is still there (his name
begins with G).
And now you have the rest of the story.

-D