[BC] Your favorite TieLine

Lloyd Collins lloydc at regionalradio.com
Tue Jun 9 10:37:22 CDT 2009

Jason Wrote:

 I'm thinking about pulling a feed off the back of a mic processor and
adding a switch for the operator.

That would work.  Also,the tieline studio unit has two inputs that can
be set for Mic or Line level individually. You could use an old Push to
Talk mic on one input to mix with whatever program you want to sent to
remote on the other input. Could pick the mic processor output  and use
it as you suggested as well. The rig is pretty versatile.

One nice thing about the rigs is that you can program the function
buttons to do things such as "Mute return" which would allow the
play-by- play team to push one button and silence anything coming from
the studio. Take a look at the setup in the "Tieline Toolbox". There are
all kinds of things you can do including closing a relay at the studio
end from the remote end ( and vice-versa). I had a little bit of
learning curve on the "toolbox" stuff, but it's not too bad. As
examples, we have a remote relay that starts spot breaks.  You might
look at using another relay to toggle between air and announcer mic only
on the feed back to the remote. So the field guys are in control of what
they receive.  We set up another function to change the signal routing
matrix in the field unit to allow the producer/color announcer to chat
with the reporter down on the field while the play-by- play is still
calling the game on the air. The guys at Tieline can be very helpful
with setting up some of these custom functions.

Hope this helps with some ideas anyway.

Lloyd