[BC] Collins 831F2 assistance needed

Milton R. Holladay Jr. miltron at mindspring.com
Sun Jun 7 22:45:37 CDT 2009

Beware: I have seen one of these xmtrs kill the exciter due to a fault in
the driver causing a damaging voltage to back up into the exciter. Be sure
to have a 1/4 wavelength shorted coax teed onto the driver in/exciter out
and perhaps add a 1000pf doorknob in the driver input to block any DC from
gettinng to the exciter, as well.  ( I suspect that it is one of the air
variables arcing over that causes this problem, but never got to the point
of resolving it.)
Was this the one with a rubber-ish belt on the driver tuning, or was that a
later version ? Beware of broken belt or loose shafts. Be sure no sliders
have slid.
Six watts from the exciter should be all that is needed when everything is
right.
Sounds like an example of multi-factorial causation.. Let us know what it
really is............