[BC] Boston Acoustics Receptor HD broadcaster mode

Urban, Brian L burban at kut.org
Fri Jun 5 09:27:05 CDT 2009

Here you go

--
Brian Urban
Chief Operator
KUT Radio
The University of Texas at Austin
TEL 512-471-1085

Boston Acoustics

HD Receptor Radio

The Hidden Menu and Other Stuff Not in the Manual

1.     Locking a station into analog:

a.     Tune to the desired station

b.     Press the "alarm 1" and "alarm 2" buttons simultaneously and release.

c.     This will put HD station into analog and keep it there.

d.     To return to the HD mode, tune away from the station and then return
to the desired station.

2.     To get to the technical menu:

a.     Tune to the desired station.

b.     Hold down the "clock" button for 15-20 seconds.

c.     You will get a master display with the following selections:

                                                             i.      Version

                                                           ii.      Hardware

                                                        iii.      Audio
Process

                                                         iv.      Tuner ROM
Writer

                                                           v.      Split
Mode

                                                         vi.      Load
Default Value

d.     Scrolling Through the Menu

                                                             i.      Left
knob scrolls up and down.

                                                           ii.      Pressing
the left knob goes to the submenu or makes a selection.

                                                        iii.      Pressing
the "display" button goes back to the previous menu.

                                                         iv.      To exit,
scroll to "load default value" and select it.

                                                           v.      Then
select "Cancel" and enter it.  (That sounds like the code was written by
somebody from Microsoft!)

e.     Broadcaster Mode is the "Split Mode"

                                                             i.      A
Caveat!!  When you enter the split mode the radio will play at full volume.
I have not been able to find a way to control the volume.  A workaround is
described below.

f.       Workaround for (e.) above.

                                                             i.      Use the
headphone jack.  I use a pair of old headphones I happen to have that has an
in line volume control in the cordset.  You cannot adjust the volume with
the front panel knob on either the speakers or headphones when in the "split
mode".  Very weird.  If you find out how to do this, please email me with
the information.

g.     Additional Headphone weirdness:

                                                             i.
Sometime, when you plug in the headphones the speakers will not mute.  If
this happens you can put the receiver into the standby mode with the on/off
switch, plug in the headphones, then turn the receiver on.

                                                           ii.      Same
thing happens occasionally when you unplug the headphones.  The speakers
will not unmute.  So if that happens, put the receiver in standby with the
on/off switch, then pull the headphones and turn the receiver on.

This whole thing tells me that the radios were designed by code writers and
not engineers who have ever designed a single piece of consumer radio or tv
electronics!!

Rant off.  Have fun!

Chuck Lakaytis
Director of Engineering