[BC] Fact or wives tale? AM RF interference on computers.

Ron Youvan ka4inm at tampabay.rr.com
Mon Jun 1 18:43:48 CDT 2009

>I ran across this piece in my research and thought it was
>interesting. They are referring to the towers for KTTO 970. What is
>fascinating is that KREM 2 TV has a studio right next to the towers
>and I assume that they have never had a problem with interference on
>their computers. Is my assumption incorrect?

   No, special shielding kits for the studio (and film) cameras {when they
were still in use} are necessary when AM towers (5kW for sure) are in sight.
Additionally ferrite (or powered iron) cores are required on audio and video
cables go to and from the main building and the MW shack at the base of the
STL tower, if any.  Interference in audio or video equipment must be handled
on a case by case basis.  Leaving the cover off of some things can have a
regrettable effect.  For these reason I don't want an AM transmitter within
5 miles of my TV transmitter plant.  TV remotes close to AM transmitters just
don't work because you do not have shielded cameras etc, tried that once.
--
    Ron  KA4INM