[BC] WKXY-FM Transmitter Repair

Kirk Harnack kharnack at gmail.com
Mon Jun 1 17:45:38 CDT 2009

Dear friends:

It was quite a weekend.  You might have viewed the photos of the new tower at
WROX and its retuning...
http://picasaweb.google.com/kharnack/WROXTowerConstructionAndTuning#

I was also busy rebuilding a tube cavity at my other Mississippi station,
WKXY-FM.  Seems the blower had locked up - 4th blower failure in this box in 9
years - and although the pressure interlock switch works fine, apparently the
"brain" of the transmitter doesn't recognize this as a problem.  The transmitter
continued to put out about 30 to 50% power over the next few days until the
fingerstock ring around the tube chimney gave up.  I had to replace the blower
motor and fingerstock ring.  I replaced the Kapton in the plate blocker
capacitor as a preventive measure.

WKXY-FM transmitter photos are here...
http://picasaweb.google.com/kharnack/WKXYFMTransmitterRepair#

All's back on at full power.  (Pay no mind to the kW meter on the transmitter
itself - the movement is stuck.)

Best,

Kirk