[BC] Neighbors fear radio tower near Utica, NY is making them ill

gRAdy Moates lists at loudandclean.com
Sat Jun 20 09:22:43 CDT 2009

Uh,

> Three kilowatts at EIGHTY FEET?
> and within 300 feet of a HOUSE?
>
> How did THAT get approved?

    Just for another data point. . .

    I built a 760 Watt ERP FM at 91.9 MHz that is
20 meters (65 feet) off the ground.  It's a two-bay,
half-wave, Circular-Polarization antenna on a 4-inch
O.D. metal pipe attached to the top of a wooden
utility pole.  http://shively.com/6810-hw-2.pdf

    The broadband NIR field at this site, measured
with a Narda meter, reaches about 60% of the limit
for human exposure in an "uncontrolled" (public)
environment about 50 feet from the bottom of the
pole, and stays at about that level out to 65-feet-
or-so, then drops off.

    So, if that 3 kW station is using a 2-bay, Full-Wave
antenna, I'd guess it's substantially above the limit
from about 70 feet from the base of the tower to about
90 feet away, due to the minor lobe that peaks at 50%
of the energy in the horizontal beam at about 55
degrees depression.  http://shively.com/6810-fw-2.pdf
I highly doubt there are health issues or RF burns
from it, but it PROBABLY IS over the limit.

    Two-bay Full-Wave antennas are - in general,
in my humble opinion - a bad choice.

    I'm just sayin'. . . and now I'm duckin' !

Grady