[BC] Public license question

Gary Zocolo garyz347 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 30 17:23:45 CDT 2009

Absolutely true. When I was a partner in a couple local stations, we would
always encourage our clients to play us on their business establishment
sound systems. The guys in the dark suits must have had our client list
because they went up and down the business strip and hit every last one of
them. Some of them paid up, some of them stopped the practice. As I recall,
the only acceptable free mode was a stand alone radio sitting there playing.
Some of our clients were not too happy about that. Neither were we....Then
there was a time long ago when I was moonlighting as a club jock at
night...the owner of the bar was frantic when I got there telling me I could
not play any ASCAP songs that night, only BMI. I did as good as I could but
the license info was in micro-print on the labels of the 45's I was
spinning, not to mention black printing on red labels in a dark dj booth. As
soon as I played "All She Wants to Do Is Dance" by Don Henley the guy in a
suit at a table made some notes, got up and left. I was fired at closing
time.

Gary Zocolo
Cleveland