[BC] High Voltage Diodes

Glen Kippel glen.kippel at gmail.com
Thu Jul 30 14:34:43 CDT 2009

On Wed, Jul 29, 2009 at 12:20 PM, Danny Ray Boyer <drboyer at centralcom.com>wrote:

> Glen, I have one of the modules apart trying to get a part number from
> one of the stud mount diodes, however there is a house number stamped on
> each diode that has been painted over with black paint.  There is no
> legimate 1Nxxxx  part number on the diodes.
>
> ----------------

I was afraid of that.  It looks like the mfr. wanted people to get their
replacement parts from them instead of ordering the same generic diodes they
did.  Oh, well...

At KWXY, our rectifier stacks started out at 15 kV PIV, but they have been
overbuilt to use twice as many diodes for a PIV of 30 kV.  These are not
studded, but are T6A10 rectifiers.  You didn't mention if the stud is the
cathode or the anode.  Also, what is the overall voltage and current each
stack has to handle?  Divide the overall votage by the number of diodes and
then multiply that by whatever fudge factor you desire to come up with a
voltage rating for each diode.  I believe the 1N3766 would do the job, it's
1000 PIV and 35 A, but they are fairly expensive.  If a 600-V rating is
sufficient, the 1N1206A might do.  Both are cathode-to-stud.