[BC] High Voltage Diodes

Keen, James M. keenjm at muohio.edu
Thu Jul 30 12:00:04 CDT 2009

Years ago....(early 80's) I had a RCA BFF-10D that kept eating the diode stacks so I replaced the 400PIV @ 20 Amp stud diodes (at ~$20.00/ea) with the Motorola 1000PIV @ 2.5 Amp rated ones and never had another problem..

The problem that I figured out was that with 20 diodes in series and a 5600 DC volt supply it was running too close to the PIV breakdown of the original diodes and if you lost a couple of them then it would take out all of them.  Since the supply was a 3 phase, 5700 volts @ 1.7 Amps, those diodes worked out well.  Total cost to rebuild the whole supply was around $45.00 counting the eq resistors and .01ufd. caps....

Jim Keen
Former.....Chief Engineer
Former.....WMUB, Miami University

New address