[BC] City Of License/Transmitter site question

ChuxGarage at aol.com ChuxGarage at aol.com
Wed Jul 29 08:25:47 CDT 2009

In a message dated 7/29/2009 8:04:00 AM Central Daylight Time,
broadcast-request at radiolists.net writes:

> I just took a look in the Rules for LPFM's, and there are no requirements
> for either the transmitter OR the studio to be inside the COL.

That is correct information.  Frequently a LPFM is established to serve a
rural community that really isn't inside any city limits.  That doesn't mean
that people don't live there, or that the station is not serving those that
do.

Those of you who live in rural areas will note that very often the Post
Office gives you a mailing address using a town name that is quite far away.
In my own instance, my official "911" street address is for a town that is 18
miles away from me.  It is a rare occasion when I go there.  The last time
was for jury duty.  To confuse matters more, I have a phone that is listed
in a different city, get my mail at a post office in yet another town and pay
taxes to a fourth town's school district.  Such is life in Rural America.

Since most LPFMs are in rural areas - the only place they would fit, thanks
to the third adjacent protections - then this is not at all uncommon.

Chuck Conrad

%2D8)