[BC] Another computer problem

Tom Spencer Radiofreetom at gmail.com
Mon Jul 27 18:31:00 CDT 2009

Richard - if you have a valid copy of ANY earlier Windows OS - 98, 2k...

Install THAT, and enter its activation code.  Don't worry about running
the security updates or Service Packs.

Next, install XP as an UPGRADE to the earlier OS.

Since it sees a "valid" Windows install, it SHOULD go ahead and run.

At least that's been my experience - my ladyfriend's computer did a
hiccup like that, and couldn't get it to re-install.  XP as an upgrade
to W2K did the trick - HOWEVER!

A friend of hers also had that problem, but I couldn't help him, because
HIS computer has a SATA drive - and W2K doesn't support SATA installs -
at least not from a bootable CD (and I couldn't go for a 98SE install
for the same reason).  Wound up putting Ubuntu on it.  Since he's all
surf and games, he seems happy...

RichardBJohnson at comcast.net wrote:
> A friend game me an 6 year old "Compaq Presario" desktop computer with the proviso that I rescue his photographs from it.

snip

--
Tom Spencer
PG-18-25453 (nee' P1-18-48841)