[BC] Arbitron

Rich Wood richwood at pobox.com
Fri Jul 24 17:04:12 CDT 2009

------ At 04:55 PM 7/24/2009, Tom Spencer wrote: -------

>I think he's referring to Seriously Ex Emmed, not a net feed

Since the term "feed" to me has always meant delivery of product from
a network or other source to a station for broadcast, I took it to
mean exactly that. Our signals to listeners are broadcasts. Signals
from SIRIUS/XM to a listener's receiver is also a broadcast, not a feed.

The bottom line is that, if the meter can't hear it, it doesn't
exist. If a listener has a satellite receiver with the antenna on a
windowsill, the meter will hear it if it's encoded. An Arbitron tech
guy told me that the meter is so sensitive that a listener would tune
away from a noisy, fading signal before the meter stopped collecting
its data. I called them to inquire what effect digital adjacent
channel interference would have on the accuracy of the data.

Rich