[BC] What is this?

Wayne Woollard woollard at inreach.com
Fri Jul 24 10:15:42 CDT 2009

From: "Kevin C. Kidd CSRE/AMD" <kkbroadcastengineering at gmail.com>

 > As I recall the rule from way way back...  New radios IMPORTED after a
 > certain date had to be 40ch, limited to 4w on AM and seems like maybe
 > limited to 80% modulation.  Most of these were so skimpily built that
 > they struggled to make 4 watts anyway.
 >
 > Otherwise any existing 23ch radio can still be sold.

I hate to, but I beg to differ with you Kevin!  I lost a darned good job
because of that particular regulation.

1.) Radios had to have circuitry to prevent over modulation by a kluged up
circuit designed by the Laurel Labs of the FCC.

2.) Modulation had to be symetrical.

3.) U.S. Manufacturers of 23 channel radios that were still in stock after a
certain date could not sell them in the U.S. but foreign Manufacturers
could.  The company I worked for (SBE) designed and QC'd and packaged their
product in the U. S. but manufactured in Japan, Consequently they were stuck
with millions of dollars of product that the could not sell through there
distributers and dealers, but the Foreign manufacturers and their
representatives were peddling single sideband radios at flea markets for
twenty bucks.

SBE went under in one month.

Most manufacturers restricted the radio's output power to prevent
overmodulation.

You still cannot sell a pre-1977 23 channel radio. "Legally"  Remember at
the time we were all "Licensed" Operators!

Wayne