[BC] What is this?

Dana Puopolo dpuopolo at usa.net
Thu Jul 23 16:07:20 CDT 2009

You are speaking of the Johnson Messinger 1. 5 channels., and capable of 25
watts TPO.
Commercial rigs cut back for CB use. The original CB band was only 23
channels. In between channels 21 and 23 were some lightly used commercial
channels. CBers used to call them 22A, B, C. The early 23 channel analog
synthesized rigs actually had square cutouts in their channel switch contacts
to keep you from using thess for CB use. Lost of people simply used solder to
fill in the gap and used those channels anyway.

When CB increased to 40 channels, those channels were re-allocated to CB use.

-D

From: "Kevin C. Kidd CSRE/AMD" <kkbroadcastengineering at gmail.com>

Jim,

I think that they started life as some type of commercial 2way in the
60's.  They were later modified and marketed by Johnson as a CB.  New
they were fully legal for CB use.  That legality probably never survived
more than 24 hours after purchase.  I do recall seeing a lo-VHF band FM
version somewhere.