[BC] Arbitron

Gary Zocolo garyz347 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 22 20:42:40 CDT 2009

I have 4 encoding. Not a difficult install but if you use the digital
encoder, you are locked into the sample rate you order. It will not auto
adjust to 32 if you ordered it at 44. My encoders are at the transmitter
sites to insure encoding on a backup STL and/or ISDN delivery of
programming. The Backup STL is a 32K unit, so I use the analog and convert
to 44-1 digital with a Broadcast Tools A>D switch.

It also seems non-accommodating that the encoders are not "remote control
friendly". The only way to remote switch from the main to the aux encoder is
to power one down and power the other up. Its an easy 1 relay project, or
the Henry Box will work, but it could have been done with closures if they
had a little forethought or broadcaster input on the design.

The encode confidence detectors do provide an alarm closure output if your
encoder stops. To automate notification if you stop detecting the encode,
you will need a device (remote control or other) to sense the failure and
notify by bells, strobes, or a call out....or all of those in my case. It is
nice to see the green "encoding" lights on all of them though. Our encode
monitors are at our studios.

Someone said to me....if you stop encoding, you may as well turn the
transmitter off. While I do not subscribe to that line of thought, it is a
valid and demonstration of how important accurate and consistent
non-interrupted encoding is to the people who hang their career hats on the
results of these boxes.

Gary Zocolo
Cleveland