[BC] Networks.

Harold Hallikainen harold at hallikainen.com
Wed Jul 22 15:18:59 CDT 2009

It must've been fun to get audio to 250 stations. I wonder what that cost.
Nowadays, it's a LOT cheaper for satellite or Internet.

On telephone line based networks, I remember a couple networks from the
eraly 1970s. One was a California news network that used 8kHz or better
phone lines. It really sounded like they were in the studio. It was MUCH
better than ABC and others were distributing for news. They also never
identified the network. It sounded like a very high quality local
newscast. The station I was working with (KZOZ) got several calls from
people wanting to talk with the newscaster.

Another interesting network was one set up for just one live concert
broadcast (Allman Brothers, I think). It also was very high quality
telephone line delivered audio. We ran that on our AM (KSLY) through a
Bauer 707. Sounded great!

Finally, my first radio boss (Homer Odom, owner of KSLY) previously worked
for McLendon at, I think, KABL (Oakland - San Francisco). Homer had a
McLendon engineer come out and look at the station. I think it was Glenn
Callaghan, if I'm remembering 40 years ago correctly.

Harold

--
FCC Rules Updated Daily at http://www.hallikainen.com