[BC] Pirate Station Busted (back in the day)

Blaine Thompson blainethompson at gmail.com
Wed Jul 22 11:31:33 CDT 2009

Having put away my 1943 Broadcasting Yearbook photocopies (thanks, all!), I
am now looking a front page article from the Indianapolis Star in 1972.  A
pirate radio station - "Radio Free Naptown" - The voice of the rock music
underground  - had been shut down by the authorities.

This sentence stood out.

"Five young women also were in the house but they were not charged.  [United
States Deputy Marshall Dale] Jordan said this was because no female voices
had been heard on the station and also because he doubted the women had the
know-how to operate the technical equipment."

When I read this sentence to a colleague, he said: "Lascivious and
sexist...all in one sentence!"

- Blaine