[BC] Two Clear Channel workers fall from a Denver radio tower

Cowboy curt at spam-o-matic.net
Tue Jul 21 17:55:51 CDT 2009

On Tuesday 21 July 2009 04:39 pm, Paul Smith W4KNX wrote:
>  Where was the safety gear for these guys.  Someone is going to get one
>  heckuva fine for this one....If a tower crew showed up at the station I
>  owned and didnt use safety gear, they would be there long enough to get off
>  the tower and would never, ever get another job of mine.

 "riding the line" is, in fact, legal, with several proivisos.

 This isn't the first time I've heard of exactly this accident, for various
 reasons, and usually close to the ground as was this one.

 "Safety gear" won't help when riding a line. It'll keep you tied
 to that line, but if the line fails, as it did here.....

 Some of those provisios include lifting a dead load greater than
 the weight of the men the FULL run, bottom to top, which should
 have shown this failure.
 Apparently, this one step wasn't done. Apparently.

>  On Behalf Of
>  wmroradio at bellsouth.net
>  tower
>
>  I've been 40' up my tower without belts, I got afraid and came down quickly,

 If it's my job, and I catch you FIVE feet without a fall arrest, I pull a Donald Trump.
 Your Fired !
 That's climbing steel.
 "Taking the elevator" ( riding the line ) is a whole 'nother thing.

--
Cowboy