[BC] A very interesting fact behind the Apollo Mission to the Moon

Tom Spencer Radiofreetom at gmail.com
Mon Jul 20 19:03:27 CDT 2009

Hmm...

By that logic, we should all be sitting around the little stream at the
bottom of the Olduvai Gorge snarling at each other over who gets first
crack at the hyena that fell off the cliff last night.  Hyena steak
tartare.  I think I'd rather stick with Moonwatcher.....

Why go to the Moon - and stay?

Because it's there.

I can think of a SCIENTIFIC mission that Luna is BEST sited for -
radioastronomy (that 2200 mile thick ball of rock makes a GREAT RF
shield); even optical and other high-energy astronomy would benefit -
and don't yell "Hubble".  there's a limit to what can be lofted into
orbit - but using lunar silica, a MUCH larger, and more stable,
instrument can be built.

Why go to Mars?

Mars has the same basic problem as Luna - 0.3 g won't retain a
terrestrial atmosphere, either, over geologic time.

We've already lost 40 years  of potential progress...

Let's not loose any more.

--
Tom Spencer
PG-18-25453 (nee' P1-18-48841)