[BC] A very interesting fact behind the Apollo Mission to the Moon

PeterH peterh5322 at rattlebrain.com
Mon Jul 20 17:32:11 CDT 2009

On Jul 20, 2009, at 3:15 PM, RichardBJohnson at comcast.net wrote:

> Correct! All of our Mars probes and the three landers used the
> dynamic of a near Earth orbit. The last did a gravitational assist
> by heading in towards the orbit of Venus and being sling-shot back
> around to a very close encounter with Earth for gravitational
> assist. The result was an seven month journey. http://
> www.spaceref.com/news/viewsr.html?pid=25912

The Three Body Problem is but one reason why a Mars expedition from
the Moon makes no sense.

Just as it made no sense to fear a nuclear attack from the Moon, or
even from near earth orbit, although the Sci-Fi of that era always
talked about an unassailable base on the Moon being one objective,
with the Moon base ensuring world-wide supremacy.