[BC] Broadcasting as a way of life

RichardBJohnson at comcast.net RichardBJohnson at comcast.net
Mon Jul 20 12:55:52 CDT 2009

Reflections
Harold Thomas was the owner of Connecticut's
oldest continuously owned radio station, WATR,
and WATR-TV, which was assembled as a work of
love from donated, resurrected, and otherwise
obtained pieces of junk thrown away by other
stations and carefully reconstructed by Harold
and his Chief Engineer. Everything worked.
However, it was a hodge-podge of RCA, Dumont,
General Electric, and even Sylvania equipment,
which probably should have been set up in a museum a decade prior.

WATR-TV used a "colorized" General Electric TV
transmitter feeding an experimental Townsend
Associates power amplifier. It was an engineer's
delight, or nightmare, depending upon whether or
not it was working. Then Harold's Chief Engineer,
another Navy Man who had obtained a First Class
Radio Telegraph License before he was out of
short-pants, got sick and wanted to retire.
Harold interviewed prospective replacements.

I showed up for an interview in my work pants and
an old sweater. I was instantly hired as a "my
kind of engineer." The love affair with the old
equipment and this family man, who had taken me
into his fold started. I learned how to baby sit
the old equipment, to adjust the Iconoscope
camera on the film island, and how to tune the
transmitter for best bandwidth, minimum body
current, and the correct "black power." It was a
learning experience that some do not get in a lifetime.

So that the transmitter could be shut down on
cold winter nights, its heat exchanger had a
circulator pump, which would circulate de-ionized
water from a conventional water heater into the
cooling loop if the water got too cold. Of
course, the fans within the heat exchanger were
shut down as well, so the water should always
remain above freezing temperature even though the
heat exchanger coils were exposed.

One Sunday morning I got a call from the
transmitter site, which was also the studio. The
transmitter was flooded and it would not go on.
In those days, I used to attend church on Sunday
morning so I decided to wear my
"Sunday-go-to-meeting" clothes so I could attend
church after I fixed whatever trivial problem
existed at the transmitter site. I arrived at the
site and found that the circulator pump motor had
shorted out, tripping its circuit breaker. A heat
exchanger coil had frozen and ruptured. I asked
the engineer on duty to siphon off the remaining
de-ionized water while I made a temporary repair to the heat exchanger.

I was in the process of brazing a bypass across
the section of a heat exchanger coil that had
frozen and split when Harold Thomas showed up to
offer his help. There he found me in a puddle of
muddy water, dressed in my best (and only) suit,
trying to get the rig back on the air. He said,
"Let’s drop everything and go get some
breakfast!" He took the other engineer and me to
a truck stop and we ate breakfast. Then he told
me, go home, get on some work clothes and meet me
at the transmitter site about one in the
afternoon -- and, by the way, when you get your
clothes cleaned, bring me the bill.

When I arrived at 1:00 PM, Harold was waiting. He
had called a HVAC man who he knew from the Navy,
who came and finished the temporary bypass I had
started. He had already refilled the cooling
system and checked it for leaks. He had mounted
the circulator pump on a board and temporarily
removed its protective ground so it would run
without tripping its breaker. Everything was
ready, but he waited for me, the "Chief Engineer"
to check it out and restart that transmitter. He
had great sense of honor. I never brought him a
cleaning bill because I wanted to return that honor as well.

Cheers,
Richard B. Johnson