[BC] Birds and towers

Jerry Mathis thebeaver32 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 17 19:28:33 CDT 2009

At the risk of igniting a war with the enviro-wackos, I'd like to say that
this proposed solution, to a VERY questionable problem in the first place,
is the biggest piece of junk science I've seen lately.

The problem with bird strikes is SUPPOSED to be worst at night. So, you hang
a few luminescent reflectors off the guy wires in a few places. This
triggers the appropriate response mechanism in all birds flying nearby:
"Danger! There is a tower with guy wires here! Don't fly in diagonally up or
down directions from these reflectors!"

Right!

Could it just possibly be that the reason the reflectors "work", in the
sense that no dead birds have been found under the towers, is that birds
aren't flying into the towers/guy wires in the FIRST place?

Where's the scientific, controlled test for this? I'd think you'd need two
identical towers, one with the reflectors and one without. See if there's
any difference in the dead bird count.

Jesus, has EVERYONE taken leave of their senses? We've got people being
thrown out of their houses because they lost their jobs and can't pay their
mortgage, people with no health insurance, our energy costs are sky-high, we
possibly may be bombed by North Korea and/or Iran, or gunned down by Mexican
drug lords, our Marines are being killed in Afghanistan in order to protect
civilians being held hostage by terrorists; and we've got idiots who are
worried about birds flying into towers.

What's happened to our sense of priorities?

/rant mode

--
Jerry Mathis