[BC] Insignia Digital Portable

Rich Wood richwood at pobox.com
Fri Jul 17 11:02:05 CDT 2009

------ At 10:45 PM 7/16/2009, Scott Fybush wrote: -------

>I disagree. I find Rich to be *very* consistent :-)

I think Chuck was referring to the consistency of the system in this market

>Rochester is not, as Rich alleged, "class C" territory. This is still
>very much B country, and most of ours are textbook Bs, 50 kW ERP/150 m.

Correction. I'm well aware that Rochester is not Class C territory. I
meant that, according to some cheerleaders here, the signals are
terrific because of the tower locations relative to the population.
That would make it very much like the even more perfect Houston
market, which is Class C and about as flat as the Earth can get.

>Rich will be pleased - or maybe at least surprised - to know that within
>the bowels of our concrete-block studio building, the Insignia couldn't
>hear any of the local HDs. (But neither can anything else, even the
>Sony, and analog reception in interior offices stinks, too.)

Again, from the reports of cheerleaders in your market I would expect
it to receive everything even in a Faraday cage at NORAD. Since I
wouldn't expect to receive analog in such a location, receiving
digital would be worthy of a listing in Ripley's and a flood of
breathless puff releases from the IBUZ company. According to some of
the puff releases I've received from them, one would conclude that
this system solves all FM's problems, cures all infectious diseases
and receives communications from extraterrestrial life. To bastardize
Freud, sometimes a radio is just a radio, even if you smoke a cigar
while listening.

Rich