[BC] IBOC to C-Quam AM stereo switching at WLS-AM Chicago

Warren Shulz warren.shulz at citcomm.com
Fri Jul 17 11:00:18 CDT 2009

For what's it worth dept.

I switch back WLS-AM-890 to C-Quam Sunset to Sunrise when we shutoff
IBOC.  When I did the IBOC install last February '07 I did a hard
exciter swap between the DexStar and C-Quam.  I was not willing to
depend on the DexStar as the only signal source.  So as we moved WLS-AM
to IBOC it was one foot in the boat and the ability to go back to
C-Quam.  As we reverted back to daytime IBOC we do this switch everyday.
The IBOC delay is set in a Omnia HD-5 processor which is doing a great
job of processing both C-Quam analog stereo and HD  Audio to DexStar.
Plus I was able to keep backup paths working.  Idea being never to be
caught in a box not able to get recovery from a Dexstar or Omnia
failure. Planning for that event it has yet to happen but I am ready.

By the way if you add a 7 KHz LP filter on analog monitor the hiss of
IBOC is lowered enough audio performance is reasonable.  What is not
reasonable  the Day Sequarra monitor (in order to  meet IBOC spec) goes
to something like 2.5 KHz during mono (non-IBOC) operation.  The  spec.
apparently rolls off at 2.5 KHz to make the switch to IBOC more
impressive.  What a rip off.  Make it sound bad to sound better. That's
a good plan?  Why didn't I think of that?

Warren Shulz
WLS CGO