[BC] The economy and used gear

Peter Smerdon psmerdon at fastmail.com.au
Thu Jul 16 22:54:22 CDT 2009

It depends on whose cartridges you were using.

Way back then ('70's-'80's) we changed up from Shure M44 cartridges to
Stanton 680's.
With the Shures we were regularly changing stylii, due to bent
cantilevers, and the occasional missing tip.
With the Stantons I never saw a bent cantilever. We had to watch out for
stylus wear (not very frequent) - the Shure's never lasted long enough
to suffer tip wear.

The Stantons paid for themselves in a few months.

Regards,
Peter Smerdon.