[BC] AM loop receiving antennas

radioranger radioranger at comcast.net
Thu Jul 16 21:14:54 CDT 2009

Does anyone have opinions on the various AM loop receiving antennas for sale
out there?  I need something for an EAS receiver, and while my Chris Scott
shielded loop works great, it's a bit spendy for the this purpose.  I know
that Inovonics makes a loop, but can't find much on the web besides "build
it yourself" instructions, and right now I don't have the time to do so.

BTW, the standard little loop that came with a Rolls receiver doesn't have
enough sensitivity to do the job.  I'm afraid that adding a pre-amp to one
of those loops wouldn't work too well, as it's located at an AM transmitter
site and I'm betting the local transmitter would just overload the preamp
without some notch filtering in front of the pre-amp.

Steve Brown
Radio Rangers
Minneapolis