[BC] Insignia Digital Portable

Rich Wood richwood at pobox.com
Thu Jul 16 11:16:49 CDT 2009

I just noticed that I sent my comments directly to Barry, not to the list.

I decided that for $50 and a 30 day return policy I might as well add
it to my collection. I went online. Ordered one for store pickup, got
my 2 emails and had it in my hands in about 20 minutes.

In analog it's more sensitive than my Aiwa AM/FM pocket receiver. I'm
using an obscenely expensive set of B&O earbuds. While they sound
better than the supplied headsets there doesn't seem to be any
reception difference between the two. There doesn't seem to be
anything special as an antenna in the earbuds.

The digital dropout problem is the same as my JVC in the car. The
HD-1 sync problem is still there with nearly everyone, just more
annoying listening so close up. Nearly everyone here is processing
analog and digital the same so the mode switching doesn't change
quality, just level changes and sync. Usually the level drops in digital.

I wish it had AM since this market has an AM NPR station. The rest
are either Spanish or ranting Rush.

It'll cost me more in gas to return it, so I'll keep it.

Rich