[BC] UK sockets

ChuxGarage at aol.com ChuxGarage at aol.com
Wed Jul 15 13:22:00 CDT 2009

In a message dated 7/15/2009 9:22:12 AM Central Daylight Time,
broadcast-request at radiolists.net writes:

>Very few UK hotels have anything like the grounded outlet to which you refer.

You must be staying in some VERY old hotels.  I've been traveling to
the UK since 1973 on a regular basis and have never seen anything
other than the huge 13 amp  rectangular switched socket in any
hotel.  The mating plug even has a fuse in it.  The only exception to
that would be in the bathroom where a shaver outlet is commonly
found.  Those are set up for a two pin European socket as well as a
two prong American style plug.  These have a transformer in them and
are limited to 50 watts or less.

I have visited a few older homes that still had some round pin
sockets, but If I recall correctly, they were three pin.  Even those
homes had the rectangular 13 amp 240 volt sockets installed when the
electrical service was updated.

Incidentally a dual banana plug (Pomona MDP) will fit in most
European AC sockets.  Don't ask me why I know that, but you'll do
anything in a pinch.

Chuck Conrad