[BC] WQXR Sale

RichardBJohnson at comcast.net RichardBJohnson at comcast.net
Wed Jul 15 09:15:32 CDT 2009

The QXR radio network. I remember it well. It was a transmitter-to-transmitter network with rebroadcast receivers located on mountaintops alongside the transmitters. WDRC, "broadcasting from Radio Mountain in Meriden, Connecticut," was the station where I installed a notch-filter on their Scott receiver so that it could pick up WQXR in New York without being overloaded by the nearby transmitter.

http://horzepa.blogspot.com/2009/02/west-peak-meriden-ct.html

Daniel R. von Recklinghausen, the Chief Engineer at Scott actually designed the filter. It was an open-ended silver-plated coil in a cylinder –a Helical resonator and it completely eliminated the offending signal while not attenuating WQXR any measurable amount.

There was another station on the Rhode Island, Connecticut border that was the final link before WCRB in Boston. That site in at the high spot on route 44. There is still a FM station there, but I don't know the call letters.

So now they are gonna be 600 watts! Wow! The accountants win again!

Cheers,
Richard B. Johnson
Book: http://www.AbominableFirebug.com/