[BC] 1950s' transistor radios pointed to more tech, changes

Mark Humphrey mark3xy at gmail.com
Wed Jul 15 08:45:25 CDT 2009

I just returned from a trip to central Europe and all of the outlets I
found in Germany and Austria were round pin and mostly of the
nonpolarized "Schuko" design, which does provide a safety ground.
Photos here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schuko

For an adapter, I just brought along a Schuko line cord (the extra IEC
cord supplied with Omnia products) modified with a North American NEMA
5-15 type receptacle.   The battery chargers for my camera, laptop,
etc. all have universal switching supplies, so the 240 volt input was
not a problem.

Switzerland uses a slightly different round pin receptacle that
accepts smaller diameter pins with the same 19 mm spacing.
Fortunately, my hotel loaned an adapter to convert this to the Schuko
type.

Rectangular pin plugs are still the standard in the UK and Ireland,
and as Bob mentions, most of these have a cartridge fuse installed
within the plug housing to protect the cord.

There is also a kludge known as the "Europlug" which can be made to
fit a UK outlet if the pins are bent:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Europlug

Mark