[BC] 1950s' transistor radios pointed to more tech changes

Chip Fetrow chip at fetrow.org
Mon Jul 13 19:24:07 CDT 2009

My first radio was a Christmas present my parents gave me in 1958.  I
was not yet three, but I wanted a radio.  The idea of voices coming
through the air to a radio just fascinated me.  It was a Zenith Five
Tube AC/DC table radio.  My fate was already sealed.

It was some years later before I was allowed to move it around on my
own.  At about age five I figured out how to stick a finger into a
small hole in the bottom of the case.  I found the chassis, and was
barefoot on the concrete floor on the carport.  This was before
polarized plugs.  It was NOT my first electrical shock.  I had plugged
in a lamp with my fingers on the prongs at age two, and soon after
that thought a selenium rectifier in the bottom of a record player
looked cool.  Now, those early shocks may explain other things.

I wish I hadn't left that radio behind when I left home.

--chip