[BC] Happy birthday and thanks for the electricity Nikola

PeterH peterh5322 at rattlebrain.com
Fri Jul 10 22:55:31 CDT 2009

On Jul 10, 2009, at 7:23 PM, Dana Puopolo wrote:

> DC is still used on many high tension lines because the energy
> potential for a
> volt of power is much higher with DC-those areas outside the sine
> wave.

No, not on "many" transmission lines, but only "some" transmission
lines.

The West has two dc transmission lines, only: the Celilo to Sylmar
line which my employer in an earlier lifetime constructed (the so-
called DC Intertie) and the Mountain to Lugo line which a consortium
of utilities, including my former employer, built. Both are 1,000,000
volts as +/- 500,000 volts (bipolar). Both are point-to-point.

Dc makes sense in these applications because the transmission
distance is rather long, perhaps 1,000 miles, but there are NO
intervening stations, only stations at the endpoints.

All of the remainder of power in the West is ac, usually at 230 kV or
higher, with the highest power density being handled by 500 kV. There
is 500 kV all over the West. Some 345 kV in AZ, some 287.5 kV from
Hoover to L.A., and loads and loads of 230 kV everywhere else, and
eventually connected to the so-called AC Intertie at many points.

There is one installation of note which is only dc, and that is the
three lines from Three Gorges which is 500 kV dc to points far
distant from the dam site.

DC makes sense for undersea cables.

It's really an AC world, with DC having very limited applications:
point-to-point over very long distances; and cases where frequency
conversion is required, such as interconnecting a 50 Hz system with a
25 or 60 Hz system.

The exceptionally high cost of the conversion equipment is what
prevents DC from having more than just end-point conversion stations.
Perhaps that may change in the future.