[BC] KOMO Fire

PeterH peterh5322 at rattlebrain.com
Fri Jul 10 10:26:25 CDT 2009

On Jul 10, 2009, at 5:29 AM, Urban, Brian L wrote:

> This failure in the article could have been caused by water or it
> could have been a loose connection.  To prevent the loose
> connection problem the use of infrared inspections every couple of
> years would be good.  Also, the bus duct should be correctly
> mounted and secured. ..."

At the large mainframe computer manufacturer where I was formerly
employed, we had our electrical panelboards and switchgear inspected
by infrared means on a yearly basis.

An occasional loose termination in a panelboard was identified before
it compromised our work, which was mainly running two week tests of
completed mainframe computer systems, during which tests a single
failure was not permitted, lest the two week test had to be run over
from the beginning.

A unique requirement, to be sure, but that is what mainframe
customers had come to expect.

At any one time, we could have two dozen mainframes, a dozen in each
"test cell", being simultaneously tested, each one being powered by
its own 70 KVA 208 volt 415 Hz motor-generator.

That's a pretty high power density.