[BC] Internet attacks

Jonathan E. Hardis jhardis at tcs.wap.org
Wed Jul 8 21:45:19 CDT 2009

>My question; what kind of idiots run these Government sites? It is
>trivial to thwart an external attack!
>
>You just take the affected servers off-line by removing them from
>DNS lookups (leaving them actually running to corral the attacks),
>and adding the backup servers to the DNS. No backup servers? Idiots
>them all, if true.

Richard,

I'm sure that you are absolutely right.  Attackers only hit stale IP
addresses and never bother to get fresh addresses from DNS.

Also, about those Government idiots -- why, I bet they load-balance
their servers -- the fools that they are -- instead of letting a set
of backup machines sit idle and unused until just this sort of attack
happens.

   - Jonathan