[BC] Radio station ignoring rules

RichardBJohnson at comcast.net RichardBJohnson at comcast.net
Mon Jul 6 07:49:49 CDT 2009

More WLLH

http://www.espn980.com/

I was able to listen some more to the station on 1400 kHz in the Lowell area. I thought it was WLLH, but it never identifies itself even in the daytime. It always uses "ESPN 980," for its identification, even though domestic call letters are supposed to begin with either a W or a K, according to the North American Radio Treaty.

The station apparently transmits some "network" audio from http://www.espn980.com/.
It does not simulcast http://espnboston.com/ which transmits on 890 kHz.

At about 9:00 PM on Sunday, July 5, 2009, I heard a commercial for JN Phillips Auto Glass, and then an announcement of the following; "ESPN 980."

Then there was no modulation for about an hour, actually 58 minutes, then near 10:00 PM, there was a sports promo followed by "ESPN 980."

The carrier with no modulation continued for at least 30 minutes more, after which I turned off the radio.

Therefore, I have two questions;

Is a radio station required to identify itself with its call letters?

Is it legal to transmit a non-modulated carrier on the AM broadcast band?

It is my opinion that if the following two questions are answered in the affirmative, then it signals the end of radio.

Cheers,
Richard B. Johnson
Book: http://www.AbominableFirebug.com/