[BC] KOMO, Seattle building fire

Chris Gebhardt chris at virtbiz.com
Sun Jul 5 15:35:46 CDT 2009

FrankGott at aol.com wrote:
> Redundancy is common in broadcast.  After all, the stations in the
> building remained on-air.

My understanding is that all involved stations broadcast from alternate
locations, either from facilities at the xmitter site or via trailer /
remote truck.

> Chris, you would expect a company like Authorize to have more than one data
>  center to offer redundancy.  It's a no-brainer for a financial services
> provider to have redundant systems.  Odds are heads will roll and customers
> will look for other CC processors.

They apparently had a "backup facility" in San Jose, but it took all
night plus very nearly a full business day until they were viable again.

> You'd mention VertBiz has backups involving another - competing -
> provider.  You may have a new customer segment. Authorize could use your  service as
> off-site backup.

For the record, it's "VIRTBIZ" (as in Virtual and Business, not
Vertical...)   Just coming from the "use my name any way you like so
long as you spell it right" mentality there.  :P    But yes, we actually
provide off-site backup for a great many companies, both mom & pop as
well as household names, and from all across the globe.  Additionally,
after Ike rolled through, we've brought in a number of customers up from
Houston.

Chris Gebhardt
VIRTBIZ Internet Services
chris at virtbiz.com | (972) 485-4125