[BC] Disaster planning

Broadcast List USER Broadcast at fetrow.org
Sat Jul 4 17:34:17 CDT 2009

There are basically three classes of these routers from what I have
seen.

The first is a fall back type.  When the first link fails, it just
switches to the second connection.  They are dumb, but if your backup
is something like a cellular data card it makes sense.  They basically
only make the task of unplugging the Ethernet cable from one provider
and plugging into the other provider.  They are least expensive.

The higher level allows one to manually set up what services go to
each of the WAN ports.  Most (or possibly all) of these do fall over
to the working WAN port if one fails.

The third type is smart, and looks at hops.  They also allow one to
set a fixed port for services if one chooses.  They dynamically switch
WAN ports and if one fails, it doesn't matter.  These tend to be a bit
pricy.  Most I have seen are just over $2,000.  My experience is also
somewhat limited, but they do seem to work well.

--chip