[BC] KOMO, Seattle building fire

Blake Bowers bbowers at mozarks.com
Sat Jul 4 14:39:33 CDT 2009

There sure is a lot of misinformation going on about Halon.

Freon is a trade name for a specific group of CFCs.

Halon is a also specific group of CFC's.
The actual name of Halon is Halon 1301 FREON FE 1301

https://www.ansul.com/AnsulGetDoc.asp?FileID=13403

Halon is also known often as FREON 13BI

Does Halon remove oxygen from the air?

It is a common misconception that Halon, like CO2, "removes oxygen from the
air."

According to the Halon Alternative Research Corporation (www.harc.org):
"Three things must come together at the same time to start a fire. The first
ingredient is fuel (anything that can burn), the second is oxygen and the
last is an ignition source. Traditionally, to stop a fire you need to remove
one side of the triangle-the ignition, the fuel or the oxygen. Halon adds a
fourth dimension to fire fighting-breaking the chain reaction. It stops the
fuel, the ignition and the oxygen from working together by chemically
reacting with them.

http://www.h3raviation.com/downloads/AC20-42C-Hand-Held-FE-for-use-in-aircraft.pdf

is another good read.

You might want to consider also - take a 5 lb sack of flour, put a fan on
the
floor in an enclosed room, and bust the bag open over the running fan.

Bet you can't stay in the room, just like any extinguishing agent.  It will
make you sick also.
.
The short discharge time of a Halon "dump" (10 seconds max) keeps the
levels far below lethal levels, however just like with ANY extinguishing
agent,
the space should be evacuated.