[BC] Bridges

PeterH peterh5322 at rattlebrain.com
Fri Jul 3 18:23:35 CDT 2009

On Jul 3, 2009, at 3:32 PM, Rich Wood wrote:

> That bridge in Brooklyn is still in my inventory. The knockoff you
> bought is probably made of inferior materials.

The several Roebling structires which are still extant are
magnificent: Brooklyn Bridge, Cincy-Covington Bridge, et. al.

The man who was officially, and contractually credited with the
design of the Golden Gate Bridge was not its actual designer.
Roebling provided the cables on that one, so it is in part inspired
by Roebling.

I would guess that Roebling provided the cables on contemporaries of
those bridges, too, including the Oakland-San Francisco Bay Bridge
(western portion, only) and the Tacoma Narrows bridge (which failed
shortly after it was completed).

The GGB and the TNB include concepts which are attributed to Leon
Moisseiff.

Fortunately, after the TNB failed catastrophically, the GGB had its
deck strengthened, and stiffened, twice, and it still stands today,
very likely the most beautiful bridge in the World, but, alas, no
longer the longest.