[BC] Cable rips off HDTV

towers at mre.com towers at mre.com
Fri Jul 3 10:08:05 CDT 2009

This is the tip of the iceberg Jim.

We're constantly be bombared by Comcast to "upgrade" our services with
them to their new boxes at the offioce.  Under no conditions will I EVER
elect to use Comcast for any IP services.  I don't need a pile of
pre-placed ads and autotracking in a so called router serving my facilty
(home or office.)

AT&T is starting to do the same thing with tracking on their IP.  Their
U-Verse IP TV has extensive tracking and oprates much the same way as
Richard observes Comcast's new box.  The ONLY way you will ever avoid
tracking is to use OTA TV.  But even then if you record something on a IP
DVR, there is still a chance some embedded code could phone home as well.

MM