[BC] AM on FM Translators

Glen Kippel glen.kippel at gmail.com
Wed Jul 1 12:38:33 CDT 2009

On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 5:05 PM, Jim Offerdahl
<jim at offerdahlbroadcast.com>wrote:

> Yesterday the FCC issued it's report and order amending the rules regarding
> FM translators allowing AM stations on FM translators.
>
> "In this Report and Order, we adopt changes in our FM translator rules to
> allow AM stations to
> use currently authorized FM translator stations to retransmit their AM
> service within their AM stations’
> current coverage areas."
>
> www.fcc.gov/mb/audio
>
> The only problem is that a station must purchase an existing CP or license
> (existing as of May 1, 2009). In my area there are NONE. Will have to wait
> for a window for to apply for new, which is probably at least a few years
> off. LPFMs come first. And they still have the rest of the 2003 auction to
> complete, none of which CP grants will qualify for this.

Yes, I have read the R&O and you have stated the case exactly.  Now, maybe
an LPFM would consent to having an AM station provide some of their
programming.  In that case, there may be a bright spot in all this.
Remember, inside every silver lining there is a cloud.  Or something like
that.