[BC] Cell phones

Broadcast List USER Broadcast at fetrow.org
Sat May 31 22:32:29 CDT 2008

WAY BACK -- maybe 1986 or 87, we were able to make a cell phone
trade.  There was a cell phone aggragator who charged $1/minute (to
us anyway, in trade Dollars).   Their main customer was someone who
came to DC and wanted a phone, and didn't want to pay the outragious
Roaming charges of the day.

We did a trade with them.   It was very cool.  I had a Novatel phone,
with a switch on the outside of the handset, marked "A" and "B."

At the time, neither Bell Atlantic Mobile (now Verizon) nor Cellular
One (which became Cingular, then AT&T) had complete coverage in the
area.  I learned where each had the best coverage and would select
the correct -- or more correct -- system and make the call.  I just
had to give people two numbers to call me.  Since this was before
voice mail, if you got "not available" try the other number.  If that
didn't work, call the receptionist hand have her send a text message
to my pager.

THAT was a good employer.  They thought engineers were important.
Only THREE of us had trade phones.

Since then, I have never been able to do a cell trade, though I will
bet Metrocall MIGHT do it in the few markets where they have IMTS
systems.  It isn't cellular, but it is a car phone.  Last I checked,
they did have a system in DC and Richmond, VA.  The Richmond system
is cool.  It allows for the first three minutes of a call to be
free.  People have put three minute timers on their phones that hang
up the phone, and they just redial.

I DID have a deal with a company I built cells sites for in the 90s.
I would call them when I was in their area and they would take my ESN
and give me a number.  They only asked that we used calling cards for
long distance calls.  In one of their markets we built a two-channel
AMPS cell site.  If you are not laughing already, it really is funny.

AMPS requires a dedicated control channel.  This left only ONE
channel for the voice call.  This meant that to call my business
partner I had to find a wireline phone.  If I used my cell, there was
no voice channel for his phone.  AH, placeholders.  It happened
before those rat bastards at Nextel.

I have even tried to exchange cellular minutes for tower rent.  No
carrier was ever interested.  I was once trying to negotiate an
agreement with a cellular company in rural West Virginia.  They
wanted to go on our existing tower and basically pay no rent.
Ultimately, a farmer allowed them to build a tower RIGHT next to our
towers.  My partner and I were on our way to the site and ran into
the farmer.  He was so proud of his new tower.  He got $200 a year
and a free phone.  I asked if he got service, and he said no.  His
service was just like anyone else got.

I explained we were offering them very low rent -- $800 a month.  He
was sad.  He then said, "But I got the free phone."  We opened the
back of my partners Suburban and dug out half a dozen phones and put
them in his truck.  I then explained what they cost.

It amazes me all the time.  I see cellular operators, and even worse
Nextel, taking advantage of land owners and building owners all the
time.  Of course, this has gone way off the rails from trades for
cell service.

--chip