[BC] Cell phones

Robert Meuser rameuser at IEEE.org
Sat May 31 15:57:48 CDT 2008

I have Verizon and T mobile. I recently dumped Nextel.  Verizon is by far
the best carrier if you need good country wide coverage plus Canada and a
good portion of Mexico. They are the one to pick. T Mobile (and I suspect
ATT) deliver the best quality but in T mobile's case their coverage is in
cities and along interstates. In practice I have found their coverage more
than adequate except when really out in the country. ATT should have
slightly better coverage. They are both GSM systems and both offer phones
that work over most of the world. Other carriers do not offer that. Nextel
is horrible they have coverage holes even in major cities. I like Sprint for
wireless data, not for phone service. They seem to be putting most of their
money into data.

In my case, I pay my cell bill and then the company reimburses me.

To boil it all  down, pick Verizon if you want the best US coverage or if
you want the fastest wireless data with decent phone service. If you want
the best quality and world wide coverage pick ATT or T Mobile, whichever has
the best service in your area. ATT is moving to 3G service faster than T
Mobile so you will sooner or later get faster data service if that is
important to you. I really do not see an upside for picking any other
carrier.