[BC] Studio Grounding Info

Mike McCarthy Towers at mre.com
Thu May 29 09:06:54 CDT 2008

Martin,

There is no single source publication other than the NAB handbook on
the subject.  There is an edition of the AES Journal which many
consider to be the best treatment of creating/handling audio common
for studio applications.  I want to say Dec. 1995.  I will say it was
done after 1988...which is when I became a member.

One key item however.  Instead of using the term "ground", use the
term "audio common" for defining your purposes.  While both
potentials will be equal or within mV at most locations, their
purposes are VERY different and completely incompatible.  Never mix,
connect, or bond ground and audio common together except at the
electrical distribution panel or transformer deriving neutral bond
point for the complete plant.  That's a tough thing to accomplish
most of the time.  BUT, that's the only way I've learned to create a
truly quiet system using an unbalanced AC power system.

Additionally, "ground" carries specific inferences and requires
specific treatment under the NEC and local codes.  By specifying
"audio common" as the purpose of the conductor, one distinguishes
clearly to the various trades and jurisdiction that it is not to be
considered the same as ground and should be treated accordingly.

There are two aspects to creating audio common in the studios.  One
is the size and manner in which the conductor is installed and
brought into the rooms which will use the system.  The second is the
connection of cable shields and creating the audio common node for that room.

The former is directly influenced by the location of the
facility.  If the studio/compound is near an AM TX, strap is the
preferred method.  Installing strap is a VERY tricky prospect. One
must insure a connection between any aspect of the AC ground system
(conduits) and the strap used for audio common is avoided.  Which is
next to impossible to accomplish if steel studs are to be used. The
only two simple ways around that are to imbed the copper in the slab
pre-pour and/or to simply lay rubber over the strap on the floor
before the studs are installed.  Also, the NEC and most local codes
contain no specific treatment for the installation of copper strap in
a building that I'm aware.  So practices are at best dependant on the
preferences of the installer and the local inspector.

For non-strap installations, use the heaviest conductor your project
can justify installing.  If code will allow, pull that conductor in a
PVC or non-conductive conduit to minimize/eliminate inductive
coupling between the audio common and the AC ground of the conduit
and those surrounding.  Bring all conductors back to a common bonding
point if possible.  This is not practical with strap however.

RF ground and audio common can also be two different animals and need
to be treated accordingly in those environments. I have created audio
commons with mesh in studios which employ their own ground rods
(electrodes) under slabs.  The key is to clearly define the purpose
of the system and it's application.  Once the local inspector got his
hands around our purpose and methods, he concluded the code was still met.

Also, there is much debate about some practices.  Some believe in
grounding at the termination, others at the source.  I believe one
has some specific research behind it.  Others believe tying at major
common junction points like patchbays, consoles, and/or the shop for
inter studio cabling.  Some believe in carrying shields across
studios/rooms and in effect employing one continuous shield for the
whole cable run.

Additionally, there are issues with the audio common of equipment DC
coupling to the case ground and that case ground being connected to
the AC ground via the third prong on a typical power cable.  "What
does one do there?" is a difficult and often times an unanswered
question due to costs/time to remediate in the field.

My one question to you is simply...analog ...why?  If you're going to
build a new operation, one would think digital or IP based (Axia or
Wheatstone) infrastructure would be the mode preferred over (simple)
discrete analog between or in studios. A distributed switcher based
operation like the SAS, Wheatstone, Logitek, Klotz, Harris, et al.
which uses digital and/or fiber to transport inter-studio signals is
a more efficient means to carry content than a huge snake requiring
lots of connections to audio common.  Installing a patchbay around
the switcher or parts of the switcher is a wise choice.  BUT, that's
a highly focused application which employs very simple rules.

Not to be overly critical, but I would seriously reconsider designing
a new plant with an analog mindset as it's backbone.  You are really
bonding (not to mis-apply a term here) the operational future of the
plant to a standard which is fast becoming less and less attractive
in so many ways.

Good luck...

MM

At 12:36 PM 5/29/2008 +0200, Martin Sims* wrote