[BC] Ports

Jason R. jyrussell at academicplanet.com
Thu May 29 00:59:14 CDT 2008

That list is cool  Usually they're written I can't remember - this list, I
might.

   Big question -
Other than convenience for everybody, why use specific ports for any
application - ?

   What I did was basically make sure the router would not respond to pings,
and there were no ports open at all, other than to get in and out service.
I watched the incoming data log for a while, then picked out some ports
nobody seemed to try to find.  Like, why not use 8943 for something... or
port 41100, or whatever the limit is on the router (and windouz)?

   There seem to be huge numbers of folks in colleges in China, Venezuela,
and Germany as well as Korea constants banging away at a handful of ports.
I'm guessing I don't really want any of that traffic... so I did what I knew
to do to not accept it, but the corporate folks wanted something "more
conventional".

    Why?  What's the advantage?
Jason